Thursday 17 August 2023

15 More Words and Definitions You Probably Didn't Know...

Words That Can Be Used As Verbs
We're back again! I found the last post on definitions to be so interesting that I felt I wanted to cover it again with some extra thought-provoking words and definitions to bring to light. I hope you enjoy reading as much as I do writing it!


1. Halfpace
 A raised floor/landing at the very top of a staircase.

Example:
It was a small stage with a halfpace to stand on.
Finally, Hana reached the top of the stairs and was met with a halfpace.


2. Archetypal
 A very typical type of person or object.
The usual standard of something.

Example:
That's very archetypal of you, Veronica.
You are a model archetypal doctor.


3. Catty-Cornered
 Diagonally opposite someone or something.

Example:
You've catty-cornered him by mistake!
He catty-cornered the plant pot with the television.


4. Bumfuzzle
 To confuse or perplex someone.
Unusual Words In The Dictionary

Example:
You've bumfuzzled me!
Bayley was the cause of Sabrina's bumfuzzling.


5. Nibling
 A gender-neutral term for niece or nephew.

Example:
He is one of my niblings.
It's my nibling's birthday today!


6. Agalmics
 The study of producing common goods.

Example:
My partner is really into Agalmics.
Karl is revising Agalmics for his next exam.


7. Gim
 Neat, tidy and well-dressed.

Example:
Her room was really gim to look at!
He is easily the most organised and gim person I know.


8. Fuster
 To whine, fret or complain.

Example:
25 New Words In 2018
Kristian is fustering over nothing.

Fuster is his middle name.


9. Nodules
 A small, usually abnormal swelling in the body.
 A rounded lump of matter which is much different from its surroundings.

Example:
He was told he had nodules in his lungs.
Teresa spotted a nodule in the middle of Paula's garden.


10. Fallacy
 An obviously flawed belief.
 Poor reasoning.

Example:
His argument was a complete and utter fallacy.
I don't know why they believed his fallacies.


11. Singletary
 A weak-stemmed winter plant native to the Mediterranean. 

Example:
She has a beautiful Singletary plant.
I wonder what what her fascination with Singletary is!


12. Samasara
 In Hindu or Buddist culture, it is the cycle of death and rebirth.
21 Facts On Chinese New Year

Example:
He has strong belief in the Samasara cycle.
Today I did some research into Samasara, it was fascinating!


13. Dividend
 A sum of money paid by a business to its shareholders using profits.
 A number to be divided by another number.

Example:
Spike told me he had to pay his dividend today.
As part of the maths homework, I have to focus on dividend numbers.


14. Blockchain
 A system that keeps track of cryptocurrency transactions.

Example:
There was an issue with my Bitcoin transaction today, so I asked to check the blockchain.
My boss said that a copy of the blockchain is all we need.


15. Iota
 The ninth Greek letter of the Alphabet.
 An extremely small amount.

Example:
Chloe was able to remember the Greek alphabet from Alpha to Iota.
The amount of concentration needed in this exam is Iota.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say? Leave a comment here!

Search This Blog