Wednesday 13 April 2022

My Story: How Emily's World Came To Be!

A Photo Of Me Outside My IT Class
I never intended for Emily's World to be a personal-exclusive blog, my life isn't that interesting enough to comment on every month and it isn't something I publicise often anyways as I am quite private online, but more and more of you have been wondering who I am, what I do and more about me as a person behind the screen, many questions I can't answer in just a few sentences. The last few years of the pandemic have left me with plenty of time to ponder on what I wanted to write about during my time at home and this is what came to mind. It's all well and good posting advice and wanting to help people, but bringing a sense of humanity to the blog is always a good thing, I'm a real person too! I've decided to tell you a little about me and how Emily's World came to be, so if you find yourself wanting to find out more, here is the place to do so!

I've always loved writing. At school I was convinced I was going to be an author. I remember sitting my final exams in primary school and writing the most complex and lengthy story, so much so I was one of the last in my class to finish. My teacher always told me writing was my strong point and that was true, I did achieve better in English than most other subjects but I was also told early on that writing stories was a lot of hard work and I was soon to find that out when I gave it a go, not once, not twice, but three times! All of these stories are put away somewhere, completely unfinished. My problem was that I would start off with a brilliant plot, a well-developed set of characters and lots of ideas which kept me enthusiastically writing for weeks at a time, but writer's block was a real issue for me. If I got writer's block, no matter where in the book I was at, I would get so frustrated with myself that it would convince me that the book was no good and then I would never return to it again. As I matured and had a greater understanding of literature, I began to realise that not all writers focus on detailed books, some write articles in a newspaper, some prefer poetry or music, others write short stories too. This led me in the back of my mind to believe that one day, I would make use of my love of writing, I just didn't know how, not as an author, but something more suited for me and the dreaded writer's block!

Attempting To Build A Computer 
I started "blogging" around halfway through my time at secondary school, I was an IT student not so keen on making handwritten notes, so I decided to open a blog instead. It was coincidental that my coursework for that class included having to open and post to a blog for reasons I can't remember, but that blog profile is the same blog profile I am using right now, founded in 2013. Don't get me started, it was horrendous. My "blog" was compiled of photos of me and my pet dog with irrelevant captions and posts of my short stories from years prior. It also had a head-achingly bad colour scheme and layout. I was horrified when I returned to this profile in late 2017 to find what a cringe-worthy site (if you can even call it that) I had. After leaving school I pursued my love of IT and writing by taking an IT course at college, achieving top grade D*D*D*. Unfortunately there was nothing to learn about blogging and having an online presence, but various projects on branding, coding, marketing and web design were very helpful for creating what was to become Emily's World and that was effectively how it happened. I knew around Christmas that the time was right, so much so I promised myself that I would finally stop putting it off and start it up as a New Year's Resolution for 2018 and here I am today still writing over four years later, loving it just as much as the first time I posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say? Leave a comment here!

Search This Blog